The Places feature introduced in HoudahGeo 5 allows you to save frequently used locations as favorites. This makes manual geotagging – picking locations from a map – way more efficient.
Places can be used in two different ways: as presets for location coordinates and names or as map bookmarks.
Places: Presets for location coordinates & names
To define a new favorite place, select “Manage Places” from the Process menu. The Places window will open, showing coordinates, names and more information on your already defined favorites. Click the “+” button to add a new place.
You can also create a new place from a geotagged photo:
- Make sure you are in the Process step (top left)
- Select the image having the location information that you want to save as a new Place
- Go to the Inspector pane on the right, click the gear symbol and select “Create Place from Image…”. This “lifts” coordinates, altitude, city, country, etc. information.
When you apply a “Place” to other photos, its information will be “stamped” onto them. To do this:
- Select one or several images
- Use the search field in the Inspector pane’s Places section to search for your pre-defined place. When you select a place, its location is marked on the map by a purple pin￼
- Click the Apply button to write the Place’s information to the selected image(s)
Places: Map bookmarks
You can also access your pre-defined places from the search field below the map. In this case, your places serve as map bookmarks. You can use them to quickly jump to known locations, e.g. your home. You can then either assign that location to the photo or adjust the map to find the exact location where you took a photo, e.g. your home’s the backyard.